Monday, November 21, 2016

Back In The Sunshine State!





I headed back to Stuart, Florida this past weekend to follow up on some repairs I hired a handyman to do at the condo my sister and I own in Stuart, Florida, and this time was able to visit a few of my favorite places during the trip, including the House of Refuge, seen in the photograph on the left and still standing after 140 years.  It was built in 1876, to rescue sailors who had the misfortune to get shipwrecked on Gilbert's Bar, just off the coast, long before there was any civilization around here - not even a Benihana of Tokyo.



After doing a few errands the rest of the day, I stopped at my favorite watering hole in Stuart, The Jolly Sailor, for a couple of pints of Fat Tire (one of Colorado's famous microbrews, I might add).  The Jolly Sailor is an outside bar that is attached to a high end restaurant called the Sailor's Return (see photo on right), which I have never eaten at, since as Blog readers are well aware, I am a notorious cheapskate.  The experience was not only enjoyable. sitting at the bar and looking out at all the boats in the marina, but also educational. Before going into the Jolly Sailor, I walked around the Sunset Marina and looked at all the yachts, seeing if any were for sale so I could sail the seven seas during my retirement.  I saw one that was from Ocho Rios, a place I have never heard of before.




Later, sitting at the bar, I used my relatively new smart phone to look up Ocho Rios on Google.  It is a city on the northeast coast of Jamaica.  The boat was a very large, ocean going yacht, which would be perfect for me.  However, it didn't appear to be for sale.  Several yachts were, however.  I could have written down the phone numbers and given the yacht brokers an offer, but I didn't feel like being laughed at that night.  And yes, I did put down the phone - unlike a lot of younger people around me - once the sun started to set, as seen in the photograph on the left.  You can't beat a Florida sunset, especially over the St. Lucie River.  Paradise at last.

No comments:

Post a Comment