Thursday, March 9, 2017

A Child's Book Of Che





As I was heading upstairs on my lunch break yesterday at the local Denver bookstore where I work, I noticed a book for kids on display about Che Guevara, Fidel Castro's fellow Cuban revolutionary.  Perhaps it's just me, but I think that is a strange topic for a children's book.  I mentioned this to co-workers at the bookstore and at my part-time evening job, and nobody thought it was out of the ordinary.  I suppose it is just me.  I am all for normalizing relations with Cuba, and long for the day that the car ferry between Key West, Florida and Havana starts up again.  I will be the first car in line. But seriously, what kind of parents would buy this book for their kids?  The children of former Cuban revolutionaries?  Did a lot of them settle in Denver? The mind boggles.

No comments:

Post a Comment