Friday, September 18, 2020

Another Chicago Flashback



I took the above photograph of Daley Plaza and it's famous Picasso statue, located just adjacent to the Richard J. Daley Center, back in 1971. The Daley Center houses offices and courtrooms for the Cook County Circuit Courts, and several times I have reported for jury duty there when I lived in Chicago. One time, I was picked to serve on a vote fraud case (it was Chicago, after all). The jury could not reach a decision, and so we were sequestered overnight at the Holiday Inn of Skid Row. I have happy memories of looking at the stares of the other guests as we got off the sheriff's bus, no doubt wondering if they wanted to stay in the same hotel with 12 obviously depraved prisoners. Another time, I almost wound up in The Blue's Brothers movie while walking across Daley Plaza. It was early one Sunday morning, and I was minding my own business when someone started screaming at me to get off the set. I guess they didn't want any locals in the movie, the SOBs. For God's sake, I am a Chicagoan! Damn those Hollywood types.

No comments:

Post a Comment