Tuesday, June 7, 2022

Rereading The Road To Little Dribbling


I just finished rereading The Road to Little Dribbling, one of my favorite books by Bill Bryson. Bryson is an American ("I come from Des Moines. Somebody had to.") who moved to England, married an English girl, and began his career there as a journalist. Bryson has written many different kinds of non-fiction works, but travel books are his forte. Neither Here Nor There, Notes From A Small Island, I'm A Stranger Here Myself, A Walk In the Woods, as well as The Road to Little Dribbling are all excellent reads, hilarious and fun. I often wind up laughing out loud, such when he describes the popularity of UK holiday camps, and summarizes it all up by saying that "Butlin had invented the prisoner-of-war camp as holiday, and, this being Britain, people loved it." You can't go wrong reading any of these titles. Be sure to pick one up today.

No comments:

Post a Comment