Saturday, September 3, 2011

With Apologies To Clement C. Moore...




Twas the night before Rush Week, when all through the place, not a creature was stirring, not a single Bookstore face;

The lanyards were hung by the registers with care, in hopes that wide-eyed freshmen soon would be there;

The employees were nestled all snug in their beds, while visions of textbook sales danced in their heads;

And Wally with his earphones, and I in my cap, finished stocking the textbook shelves, all in a snap;

When out in the hallway there arose such a clatter, I sprang from my office to see what was the matter;

When, who to my wondering eyes should appear, but Doug the Textbook Buyer, with his usual sneer;

More rapid than eagles his foul moods they came, and he whistled and shouted and called each employee by name:

Now Darrel! now Marty! now Jan and Flo!

On Brittney! on Noah! on Chris and Joe!

To your place at the registers, by the Bookstore's front wall!

Now dash away! dash away! dash away all!

As I drew in my head, and was turning around,

Down the stairway Store Director Tristy came with a bound;

She was dressed all in fur from her head to her foot,

And her clothes were all tarnished with sales stickers and soot;

A bundle of merchandise she had on her back,

And she looked like a peddler just opening her pack;

Her eyes - how they twinkled! her dimples how merry!

Her cheeks were like roses, her nose like a cherry;

A wink of her eye, and a twist of her head;

Soon gave me to know I had nothing to dread;

She spoke not a word, but went straight to her work,

Filled all the register counters with merchandise, then turned with a jerk;

And pointing a finger at a spot past the floor,

And giving a nod said open the door;

She sprang to her office, to her team gave a whistle,

And away she flew like the down of a thistle.

But I heard her exclaim, ere she walked out of sight,

"Happy Rush Week to all, and to all a good night!"




No comments:

Post a Comment