Wednesday, March 9, 2016

The Zoo In Late Winter


For the first time in months, I was able to visit the Denver Zoo this past Sunday morning before going into work.  It was almost 70 degrees and sunny, and I arrived at the crack of dawn (10:00 A.M.), and so I assumed the "Giraffe Encounter," where fans get to feed the giraffes and get up close and personal, would be going great guns.  But no.  It was closed.  I have been to this exhibit at 11:30 in the morning and seen a "tummies full" sign on the gate more than I can count, and now it appears the giraffes can't be fed during the wintertime, even though they are wandering around the compound anyway.   I don't want to put too fine a point on it, but I think it is all a shuck, a jive, a con.  On the other hand, at the Cheyenne Mountain Zoo in Colorado Springs, not only can you feed the giraffes 24/7, they even let you ride them through the compound.  Take a lesson, Denver Zoo!

No comments:

Post a Comment