Tuesday, November 10, 2020

Fall At The Zoo Part II




As I mentioned in yesterday's blog, I went to the Denver Zoo Sunday afternoon to take a few photographs, including one of the orangutan seen on the left. This seems like a very friendly animal that is always willing to pose for a portrait, although sometimes it comes so close to the viewing window that I cannot get a good photo. Happily, Sunday afternoon it was in the sunshine, just hanging around, enjoying the fine fall weather, allowing for a good shot.





I was also able to get a good photo of the baby orangutan, too, as seen on the right, which is not an easy task, since it is always on the move, climbing up and down and all around. Fortunately, I was able to capture it in midair as it took a minute to look over at the zoo guests, no doubt wondering what it was going to perform next for it's doting audience.






Next I visited the mandrills, where I was glad to see that the baby mandrill was also out and about, running around the compound, running to it's mother, and then running up to the viewing window, putting his face against it, usually to look at the young children gazing back. It is obviously one smart creature to recognize that these are children, just like him. I am sure they would all love to play together, but I suspect zoo officials and their insurance providers would have some objections.




It was impossible to predict when the baby mandrill would run to the viewing window and make an appearance. And it was so fast that by the time I was about to take a photograph, it was already gone. I took the photograph on the right the second it appeared at the window, with no time to aim or steady the camera. I am happy it turned out as good as it did. And that ended my day at the zoo. Simon and Garfunkel once sang that "it is all happening at the zoo," and I guess that is still true, even 50 or 60 years after that famous song.

No comments:

Post a Comment