Wednesday, August 16, 2023

Speaking Of Rome...


I see on the news that the City of Rome has opened up Largo Argentina, a square with the remains of four Roman Republican temples and Pompey's Theatre, to tourists, for the first time in something like 2,000 years. It was on the steps of that theater that Julius Caesar was assassinated back on the Ides of March in 44 BC. I personally know Largo Argentina as the place where you get off the bus to get to Hotel Smeraldo, where my sister Susan and I stayed when we visited Rome back in May of 2019. This hotel is just down the street from Campo de' Fiori, my favorite square in Rome. I had always thought Julius Caesar was killed there, but evidently not, although this square and Largo Argentina were all part of the same complex, as can be seen on a map of Ancient Rome at https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Largo_di_Torre_Argentina#/media/File:Roma_Plan.jpg, no doubt given away for free at ancient Shell chariot stations. I took the photograph above, by the way, of the monument to Giordano Bruno during our visit to Rome. He was an Italian philosopher, burned at the stake for heresy, at that exact location in Campo de' Fiori back in 1600. And they say the U.S. is violent.

No comments:

Post a Comment