Monday, July 27, 2026

My Parent's 86th Wedding Anniversary





This would have been my parent's, Nelson and Mary's, 86th wedding anniversary if they were still alive today. They were married at what was known in the family as "Uncle John's farmhouse" in Geneva, Illinois, back in 1940, and seen in the photograph on the left that shows my parents walking out of that house right after the wedding. It was a location my mother wasn't crazy about, which I inadvertently discovered could still be a sensitive issue even after 75 years when I mentioned that to my Uncle Jack 10 years or so ago. But that is another story. That farm was owned by my Grandfather Hoyt's brother-in-law, John Tallman, who was also a plumber and whose shop later became the Mill Race Inn, a popular restaurant in Geneva that closed back in 2011 after being in business for 78 years. In any case, I have an 8mm film of that wedding, in color no less, that I have kept in a cigar box for decades. When I finally decided to do something with it, my friend Mark recommended I take it to someone he knew at the University of Denver, who converted it into a digital copy for me. Which I unfortunately cannot upload to this blog, since it exceeds the 100mb limit. Sorry about that. You'll just have to live with the photo. And I do know what a big disappointment that is. Everyone enjoys looking at other people's wedding videos. The longer the better!

No comments:

Post a Comment