Thursday, July 23, 2026

Police Action In RiNo


I was driving on a street that borders the Platte River in Denver's River North (RiNo) neighborhood the other day and happened onto a police action of some sort. I drove past, found that the street I was on dead ended, and went back the way I came, which is when I took the photograph above. I don't think I have ever witnessed police with guns drawn and pointed at someone before. The photograph was taken through the front windshield of my car, and so is pretty low quality, but you can get the drift of what is happening. The man on the right appears to be homeless, and I am not sure what the threat was that made the police draw their weapons. One of the officers did turn the gun away after I took the photo, so hopefully the confrontation started to deescalate from there, although the other officer was still holding what I assume was a stun gun, but am not sure. I did not stick around to find out. But it does make you realize that incidents like this are happening a lot more often these days. This area, before it was lined with expensive apartment buildings, was popular with the homeless, who would build makeshift shacks along the river. Those structures are gone now, but I imagine the homeless still hang out there, many either mentally ill or with drug or alcohol problems, which creates problems for everyone else, which I suspect was the root cause of the incident that I saw. With so few state-operated psychiatric hospitals these days, which years ago used to treat these people, they now have nowhere else to go but the streets. A problem that definitely needs to be fixed.

No comments:

Post a Comment