Wednesday, October 7, 2026

The View From The Wynkoop's Patio




One of my favorite places to sit and have a beer during the summer and fall is the patio of the Wynkoop Brewing Company. The Wynkoop is just a block south of Coors Field, home to the Colorado Rockies, and it is especially enjoyable to stop and sit on that patio after attending a ballgame and watch all the people passing by as they head for home. And if they stop at the Wynkoop on the way, they will get $4.00 game day microbrews, as opposed to the $16.00 Coors Light beers at the ballpark. I took the photograph on the left of my sister Susan on the Wynkoop's patio after visiting Denver's Oktoberfest celebration the weekend before last. The Rockies had played their final home game of the season a few days earlier, but no problem. A beer after visiting Oktoberfest tastes just as good as after the ballgame.




The Wynkoop also has a nice inside bar area with a Victorian feel, although once baseball season is over and the weather turns colder, it seems to be a lot less busy. They brew the beer right on site, and you can see the open-top fermenters and storage tanks through a glass window opposite the main entrance, as seen in the photograph on the right. And why is there a statue of a gorilla right in front of that window? There are some questions not even I can answer. Years ago, when I was taking classes to earn my MBA at the University of Denver, I worked on a team project with a group that the previous quarter did their end of term report about the Wynkoop Brewing Company. Not only was it a fun thing to do, but they filmed it all on video, documentary style, and when the time came to present their project to the class, they simply showed the film they made to the class - no need for each person to stand up in front of everyone and drone on about their subject. I thought that was very clever indeed. And I'll bet they all got free beer out of it, too. Talk about win-win.

No comments:

Post a Comment