Thursday, October 1, 2026

University Of Denver Homecoming Is Approaching: Alumni, Bring Your Checkbooks!




I took a walk around the University of Denver campus the other day, and it is looking very pretty. Homecoming will be taking place October 19th through the 24th this year, less than 3 weeks away, and the university really tries to make the campus look it's best when all the alumni return to campus. With the decrease in students which DU has experienced due to enrollment declines, fewer international students, and long-term demographic trends, resulting in a $30 million budget deficit last year, DU will be needing those alumni and their donations more than ever. Be prepared for a major sales pitch, people! The building in the background of the photo on the left, by the way, is Mary Reed Hall, where the Vice Chancellor of Business and Finance had his office when I worked at the DU Bookstore as the Finance Manager, before the store was outsourced. The store's management team would meet with him there every quarter to discuss the store's financial results. He retired from DU a number of years ago and these days is probably damn glad he did. 




I went to the Homecoming Pregame Party the year before last and enjoyed it very much. I didn't recognize anyone I knew, either from when I worked at the bookstore or when I was taking classes to earn my MBA, but still enjoyed the atmosphere. Everyone was in good spirits, having a great time and looking forward to the hockey game that Saturday night. DU does not have a football team, and so the big game everyone attends is the hockey match, this year against Boston College. The university eliminated football after the 1960 season for financial reasons. The clothing buyer at the bookstore had a T-shirt made that said, "University of Denver Football, Undefeated Since 1961," which became a top seller. I wish I had bought one when I had the chance. I am hoping to attend this year's Homecoming Pregame Pary with my friend Stuart, who is also a DU alum, but am not planning to make a donation to the school. I feel that working there for almost 30 years and then being outsourced is enough of a donation, despite their financial struggles. On the other hand, I will strongly encourage my friend Stuart to give a big-time donation to dear old DU, despite his mixed feelings about the school. Just open up that checkbook, Stuart! It's tax deductible, after all.

No comments:

Post a Comment