Thursday, May 14, 2020

Mighty Aphrodite



Now that I have a lot of time on my hands due to the coronavirus, I have been going through boxes of old photographs, seeing what I can find that looks interesting.  One of these photos was of the above cat, whose name I could not remember.  When I showed my sister Susan the picture, she reminded me that it's name was Mighty Aphrodite (Mighty for short), who was one of her pets back in the 1990s. She and her husband George named it after Woody Allen's 1995 movie of the same name, starring Mira Sorvino, who won the Academy Award for Best Supporting Actress for her role in that film.  Why they named their cat after that movie I can not say.  What I do know is that the film opens with a scene shot at an ancient Greek theater, which is where a Greek chorus narrates the story.  This Greek theater is located on a clifftop in Taormina, Sicily, with a spectacular view of the Mediterranean.  I visited there a number of years ago, and loved not just Taormina, but all of Sicily as well.  And so why did they name the cat Mighty Aphrodite?  I suspect it was probably just a case of temporary insanity.

No comments:

Post a Comment