Sunday, May 3, 2020

Remembering The Good Old Days 8 Weeks Ago


Now that the weather has turned warm and sunny (for the most part), I have been doing a lot of bike riding. This past week I biked from my condo across the street from the University of Denver to downtown's 16th Street Mall, and from there to Denver's River North (RiNo) neighborhood.  This area north of Lower Downtown Denver (LoDo) was originally an industrial district where artists, priced out of other neighborhoods, moved to set up galleries and studios.  Now, of course, it is a playground for Millennials, filled with brewpubs, restaurants, and many new, high-end apartment buildings. There is nary an art gallery left anymore. It still looks like an industrial district, without a tree in sight, but for Millennials, if you can walk out of your apartment and find a brewpub on every other block, I suppose that makes up for a lot. In any case, just 8 weeks ago I biked past Ratio, one of the more popular brew pubs, and took the photo on the left.  Last week, as I passed by, thanks to the coronavirus, there wasn't a soul in sight.  What a difference.




There was also a crowd that day 8 weeks ago in front of Our Mutual Friend, another brew pub just down the street.  I have never been inside the place - or for that matter, Ratio, either - but I assume that Our Mutual Friend, seen in the photograph on the right back on March 7th, must have a Charles Dickens/Victorian England motif.  I was tempted to walk up to various people on the patio and ask them what Dickens classic they were reading while sipping their beer, but on second thought, decided not to risk having to ante up for bail. After all, I have a lot of expenses these days. If it wasn't for that...

No comments:

Post a Comment