Sunday, May 7, 2023

Derby Day!


Yesterday was the 149th running of the Kentucky Derby, which I sadly missed since I was driving home to Denver across Kansas and the lovely, moonlike landscape of the eastern plains of Colorado. However, thanks to the magic of the information super highway - and does anyone else actually use that phrase anymore? - I was able to watch a repeat of the race on my laptop when I got home. The winner was Mage, a 15-1 longshot, who was running in only his fourth race. Another victory for the underdog - or underhorse as it were - before a cheering crowd of over 150,000 horserace fans. The victory overshadowed the fact that there were five horse deaths over a six day period leading up to the Derby, five horses scratched from the Derby field, and two horses dying on Derby day in undercard races. What is the deal with that? It takes a lot of the luster out of this famous event. And by the way, since I could not attend in person, I used the photograph above of Derby winner Mage from the Louisville Courier-Journal, no doubt the same photo I would have taken if I was actually there.

No comments:

Post a Comment