Friday, September 1, 2023

Late Summer At The Zoo Part II






As I mentioned in yesterday's blog post, I went to the Denver Zoo Wednesday afternoon to take a few photographs. Despite the heat (97 degrees and not a cloud in sight), I was surprised at the number of animals who were willing to pose for a portrait, including the monkey in the photograph on the left. It's compound is right across the walkway from the orangutan's spacious grounds, and each time I visit the zoo, I always try to get a photo of this guy before I head over there. But until yesterday, I never succeeded. Thanks buddy!









The giraffe in the photograph on the right was acting kind of shy, but still allowed me to photograph it as it peeked from behind a stantion. Back in the good old days, you could walk to the other side of the giraffe compound and take photographs of the people who bought food from a booth and were feeding those giraffes. These days, you have to make a reservation in advance, and only people who pay can go over there. In my opinion, pay to play is becoming way too common these days.






Akili, the 3-year-old mandrill in the photograph on the left, is looking pretty pensive, sitting high up in the mandrill compound. As soon as I took that photo, a group of Hindus (I think) wearing traditional robes appeared in the viewing window, and she immediately jumped down and ran right in front of them, trying to make friends. It makes me wonder whether if I wore Hindu style robes to the zoo, I would be able to better interact with the zoo animals. Or would I simply be taken away for a mental health examination. Of course, if that happened, it would be still another opportunity for a blog photograph. Sounds like a win-win situation in either case. I'll definitely give it some thought.





The elephant in the photograph on the right was also extremely friendly. It walked right up to the gate, put his or her trunk through the bars, and waved it in front of me. I suspect it wanted me to feed it (which would have immediately got me either thrown out of the zoo or jailed), and so I resisted the temptation to do so. Also, I was not carrying any elephant food, or any other kind for that matter, and so the poor thing had to do without. Could the zoo be scrimping on food to save money during these inflationary times? I strongly suggest blog readers send e-mails to Denver Zoo officials and demand that the zoo stop starving the elephants to death just to save money. Be sure to let me know what kind of response you get!


No comments:

Post a Comment