Sunday, September 3, 2023

The Chicago Cubs Have A Shot. The White Sox Are Just Plain Shot...



It is September, the final month of the regular baseball season. And yesterday my South Side heroes, the Chicago White Sox, lost 10-0 to the Detroit Tigers, one of the worst teams in baseball, and are now 30 games under .500 and 18 games out of first place. Plus, this past week, it was reported that they are considering relocating to a different city, that they fired their vice president and general manager, and two women were shot while attending a game Friday night at Guaranteed Rate Field. And besides all these issues, I am beginning to suspect they will not turn things around and have a winning season. Meanwhile, on the North Side of Chicago, although the Cubs have lost their last two games to the Cincinnati Reds, they have been playing good baseball of late, are 7 games over .500, and a mere 4.5 games out of first place. Granted, it is a weak division, but they actually have a chance to make the playoffs. Between North Side and South Side, I guess this is the year for Cubs fans to be excited about their prospects, just as they were on Opening Day back in 2010, when I took the photograph on the left of those fans celebrating a Cubs victory while walking down Clark Street after the game.




And yes - in 2010 I did indeed attend Opening Day at Wrigley Field while visiting my old home town. And why there instead of Guaranteed Rate Field? Because - and follow me closely here - THEY TORE DOWN COMISKEY PARK and replaced it with one of the worst stadiums in baseball. And I have to say, I was pretty impressed with all the energy and celebration in Wrigleyville that day after the game. I can only hope the White Sox decide to build a new retro style ballpark such as Coors Field or Camden Yards across the street from their current stadium, on the site of the original Comiskey Park, and put together a true winner for next season. Or even the season after that. Or for that matter, the season after that. Are you beginning to understand White Sox fans now? Also, they should really not let people bring their guns to the game. It can lead to problems. And no thanks required. I am more than happy to help out with my advice.

No comments:

Post a Comment