Monday, October 9, 2023

Lunch With Stuart At Spanky's


I had a late lunch this past Saturday afternoon with my friend Stuart, seen in the photograph above, at Spanky's, an "urban roadhouse" just to the west of the University of Denver, where I worked as the Finance Manager of the DU Bookstore for almost 30 years, and where Stuart graduated with a Masters in International Studies back in the distant past. And I have to say, Spanky's is much more lively now that classes are back in session. Stuart and I discussed the uptick in Covid-19 cases, the war in Israel, and, of course, the Chicago Cubs. Stuart is originally from the North Side of Chicago, and a Cubs fan, and tells me he was not surprised that within a few weeks they went from a 3 1/2 game lead in the wildcard race to not making the playoffs. They are the Cubs, after all. As for my South Side heroes, the Chicago White Sox (I grew up in Chicago's South Side Brainerd neighborhood), I could see the writing on the wall after the first week of the season, which culminated in the Pale Hose losing over 100 games for the 5th time in their history. Our current home town team, the Colorado Rockies, were expected to be the worst in baseball this year, and although they were indeed the worst in the National League, they surprised everyone by being only the third worst team in all of baseball this season. Which is considered a great success here in Denver. When I was limping out of Spanky's as we were leaving (I recently pulled a muscle that seems to be a lingering issue), Stuart remarked that I now remind him of Grandpappy Amos, the Walter Brennan character in the old Real McCoys television series. Nobody can possibly take offense at that, although I do have to say that only someone very old - very, very old - can possibly remember that classic television show. Am I right or am I right?

No comments:

Post a Comment