Thursday, May 9, 2024

A Late Lunch With Stuart At Spanky's Roadhouse





I had lunch with my friend Stuart, seen in the photograph on the left, yesterday afternoon at Spanky's Roadhouse, which is located just to the west of the University of Denver campus. Stuart is an alumnus of DU, as am I.  I am also an official retiree of DU, working for almost 30 years at the DU Bookstore as the Finance Manager. Until, of course, the university outsourced the bookstore and let me know that I was "retiring." But no matter - the bottom line is that we had a nice lunch at Spanky's, a DU hangout, where we discussed all kinds of things, including the early success of the Chicago Cubs. Stuart is originally from the North Side of Chicago, and a Cubs fan, while I am from the South Side and a White Sox fan. The Cubs are currently tied for first place with the Milwaukee Brewers in the National League Central Division, and are actually in discussions with other teams to acquire a few players that will help them make a playoff run. Stuart had the nerve to tell me he believed my South Side heroes, the Chicago White Sox, were currently the worst team in baseball, with which I strongly disagreed. I let him know in no uncertain terms that they were actually tied with our adopted hometown team, the Colorado Rockies, for worst team, which of course means they are not technically the worst. And as of this morning, the Sox are one game ahead of the Rockies, who now hold that title all to themselves. As it should be.

No comments:

Post a Comment