Wednesday, May 8, 2024

Still Another Victim Of Gentrification?


I was walking through Washington Park a few days ago and found still another house surrounded by the chain link fence of doom, as seen in the photograph above. I am actually not sure if it will be torn down and replaced or just remodeled, but if I were betting on it, I would say a new McMansion will be appearing on this site soon. This particular home I am quite familiar with. Back when my ex-wife Lisa and I were first married, we toyed around with the idea of buying a house, but could not find anything we liked that we could afford. Our dream home would have been the one in the photograph, right across the street from Washington Park, with a view of the mountains beyond. It was for sale for $279,000 (I think). This was back in the early 1980s, when that amount of money seemed like a fortune. We never did buy a house and divorced not too many years after that. And so, it was probably all for the best. But it seems like such a waste to tear down such a nice place, built in 1910 no less, just to put up another modern, 3-story edifice. There are way too many of those in the neighborhood already.

No comments:

Post a Comment