Saturday, November 28, 2015

Chicago Magazine's Pizza Issue!


I resubscribed to Chicago Magazine after a 6 month lapse (they never did offer me a bargain rate to re-up), and I received the first issue just last week.  It was the Chicago's Best Pizza issue, and featured the 38 best pizza places in the Chicago area.  I don't want to say that Chicago Magazine is run by a bunch of effete, stuck-up Northsiders, but I feel I have to.  The magazine is run by a bunch of effete, stuck-up Northsiders. Virtually all the pizza places they recommend are located on the North Side and other trendy areas near Chicago's Loop, and all seem to serve wood-fired, gourmet style pizzas.  When I was growing up on the South Side of Chicago, we ordered pizza from Vito and Nicks, and later on, Aurelio's in Homewood, Illinois, and we were not thinking gourmet.  We were thinking sausage and pepperoni and lots of tomato and cheese - not very dainty, but plenty good.  Our pet beagle Irma would go into a frenzy whenever we carried one of those pies into the house.  Both Vito and Nick's and Aurelio's are still around, by the way.  Chicago Magazine did not mention Vito and Nick's, but did say that Homewood's Aurelio's (now a chain) does not travel well.  Like I said - effete!

No comments:

Post a Comment