Sunday, February 11, 2024

The 2024 Chicago Auto Show


I learned from both Chicago Magazine and the WGN News at Nine that the 2024 Chicago Auto Show begins this weekend and runs through February 19th. When I was a kid, I just loved going to this show. I was never much of a car person, so I am not sure why. Perhaps it was just an event I could attend every year with my parents, where we could experience sticker shock seeing that an XKE Jaguar was selling for the outrageous sum of $6,000. The article in Chicago Magazine featured only electric cars, which I assume is what the average Chicago Magazine reader is interested in buying. Even though sales of electric vehicles are going down. Due to their limited usefulness and high cost, they were marketed to wealthy individuals as a second car - electric for around town and gas powered for extended trips. But for people of modest means, electric cars just aren't an option. And amazingly enough, this seems to be a surprise to car manufacturers who are now beginning to reduce the number of electric cars they produce. The photograph above, by the way, I took of my parents Nelson and Mary back in February of 1962 as we were leaving McCormick Place after a day at the auto show. Without a new XKE Jaguar.

No comments:

Post a Comment