Wednesday, August 18, 2010

Carl Hiaasen


I went to hear Carl Hiaasen speak at the Tattered Cover tonight. He was promoting his new novel, "Star Island," which takes place in South Beach (the trendy part of Miami Beach), and he gave a very entertaining speech. The villain in the novel is a photographer - a paparazzi - and during his talk Carl also went on to disparage bloggers and tweeters. While I was waiting to get my book autographed, I wound up waiting with a group of book dealers, all who each had maybe 10 or 20 books to be signed. So there I was, in Carl's presence, right after he had to sign maybe 2,000 books that he would get no money from, asking him to let me take his photograph (because he is a famous author) for my blog. I think at that moment we truly bonded. At least he looked gracious.

No comments:

Post a Comment