Saturday, August 21, 2010

More About Larimer Street



Not only does Larimer Street have a chic nightclub district (top photo), it also extends onto the University of Colorado at Denver campus. Located at the end of the street is the Tivoli Center (bottom photo). It was once the home of the Tivoli Brewery, and was later a shopping center. It is now the student center for both the University of Colorado at Denver and Metro State College, as well as the home of the Denver Film Festival. I have a lot of memories of this place. I remember going to dinner several times there at a restaurant called Kailua's with my then wife Lisa. Kailua's had a Hawaiian theme and featured a huge screen showing endless videos of surfers riding big waves. I got seasick a lot there. We also went to Morton's of Chicago there for our anniversary. Instead of bringing you a menu (with prices, I might add), they rolled a cart up to your table and showed you the actual steak they would cook for you if you ordered it. I was very surprised when they brought out an actual live lobster, flaying about, and asked if you wanted to have it boiled alive. Back in the days of the Coors Classic bicycle race, my brother-in-law took my mother and sister to see a criterion bicycle race that went around the Tivoli Center. It was about 100 degrees outside and my mother was not crazy about it. In fact, up until she passed away - even with a bad memory - whenever I pointed the building out and mentioned that race, she remembered it vividly. It wasn't exactly a happy memory, but it one she never forgot.

No comments:

Post a Comment