Sunday, October 14, 2012

Time Is Up


Time is up for the Colorado Rockies.  They finished the year with 98 losses, the worst record in team history. On the positive side, it was much easier to get tickets this season. As Cub fans are so fond of saying, wait until next year.  I also thought time was up for my wristwatch a few days ago.  I had dropped it on the floor and it stopped working.  Fortunately I was able to get it fixed, which is good news considering the memories this watch has.  It was given to me one Christmas years ago by my brother-in-law.  My mother immediately declared it to be the ugliest watch she had ever seen.  The following summer, when I went down to Florida to visit her, she insisted on buying me a Timex watch to replace it, with instructions to only wear my old watch in the presence of my brother-in-law.  A few years ago I dropped the watch in Oakwood Cemetery in Chicago.  By the time I noticed this and drove back, the gates to the cemetery were closed.  I went back the next morning, and it was still there where I had dropped it.  Nobody had wanted it.  In fact, Wally, my friend and colleague at the DU Bookstore, once wanted to know if I had gotten it free by subscribing to a magazine. On the bright side, I never have to worry about getting it stolen.  Take that, Rolex owners.

No comments:

Post a Comment