Wednesday, February 28, 2018

On Thin Ice



I stopped at Denver's Washington Park on my way home from work this past weekend, where I took the above photograph.  I thought it was an idyllic scene to put on the blog, but as soon as I got done snapping the shutter a retiree starting talking to me about what happened out on that lake a few years ago.  Evidently a kid from California ran out on the ice, and when he got to the middle of the lake went down like a ton of bricks. Colorado has a lot of temperature extremes during the winter, and it can go from below zero to the 60s in a day or two.  This does not make for a very thick layer of ice, and the poor kid wasn't aware of that. The retired guy told me the kid's body was retrieved by helicopter - not a pretty sight.  And so the moral of the story is that looks can be deceiving.  Those "stay off the ice" signs are there for a reason.

No comments:

Post a Comment