Friday, January 19, 2024

It's My Birthday! I Am Old! What A Bummer...


Today is my 71st birthday, and I do not so much celebrate this day as wonder how the hell I got so old so quickly. Time really does move faster the older you get, and more and more I find myself reminiscing about "the good old days," a true sign of old foggy syndrome. Nonetheless, "just to be alive is a grand thing," as the aphorism in a fortune cookie I received at Pepper, my favorite Chinese restaurant here in Denver, wisely stated, and so we must all look forward, not backward. And, as is typical, I am ignoring that advice and looking backward, featuring a photograph of me when I was at my most charming best. It was taken years ago on a family vacation at Lake Wisconsin. I don't remember too much about it, except that the nearby town, Lodi, seemed kind of boring, and that the place we were staying at had a pet deer, complete with a bell around its neck, who wandered around the woods. The best part of the trip was that to get to the other side of Lake Wisconsin, you had to take what seemed to me to be a very rickety old ferry, which could only take a few cars at a time. To me, it was always a very exciting trip. And yesterday, I checked on Google Maps, and the Merrimack Lodi ferry is still there. They never built a bridge to replace it, like they have done in 99% of the rest of the country, which I think is just great. It is evidently an historic landmark, which I hope means they still use that same rickety old ferry I rode as a child. To me, that adds a sense of continuity to the modern world. What could be better than that?

No comments:

Post a Comment