Thursday, February 22, 2024

Robert B. Parker's Broken Trust


I just finished reading Robert B. Parker's Broken Trust, written by Mike Lupica, and really enjoyed it. Robert B. Parker, who passed away in 2010, wrote 40 wildly popular novels featuring Spenser, a Boston private detective. After his death, his widow hired Ace Atkins to continue the series, and I believe he did a good job doing it. After 10 more Spenser novels, Atkins decided to turn his attention to other projects, and Mike Lupica was hired to carry on the series, starting with Broken Trust. And I think he did an excellent job recreating the characters, not to mention telling a pretty good story, which finds Spenser being hired by the wife of a famous businessman and philanthropist to discover what has turned him secretive, paranoid, and given to violent outbursts, the exact opposite of his usual personality. As soon as Spenser begins his investigation, his client is murdered, and things turn very dangerous. I especially like how Lupica has retained Spenser's humorous personality, which is what I have always enjoyed most about these novels, and I strongly recommend everyone pick up a copy today. And I mean right now!

No comments:

Post a Comment