Thursday, February 29, 2024

Tom Skilling Retires!


Yesterday was Chief Meteorologist Tom Skilling's last day at WGN Channel 9 in Chicago, retiring after 45 years. He started at the station back in 1978, when I was still living in Chicago, and thanks to the advent of cable television and WGN becoming what was then known as a Superstation, I was still able to continue watching the WGN News at 9 and Tom Skilling, not to mention all the White Sox and Cubs games, after I moved to Denver. Sadly, the days of WGN as a Superstation ended, as did baseball games on over-the-air television, but due to the rise of the internet, I have been able to continue watching the WGN news and Skilling's weather forecasts, as well as the White Sox and Cubs broadcasts (for a small fortune, I might add) on MLB.com. In any case, Tom will be missed, but he is, after all, pretty damn old (one year older than me, actually) and deserves to finally get a bit of leisure time. Have a happy retirement Tom!

No comments:

Post a Comment