Friday, March 22, 2024

Checking Out The April Photograph In The 2024 CTA Historical Calendar


While checking dates coming up in April (most significantly the day income taxes are due), I was impressed by the photograph seen above in the 2024 CTA (Chicago Transit Authority) Historical Calendar. It shows the "L" station at State and Lake in downtown Chicago, which was around from the 1920s until the 1960s. This photograph was taken in 1957, and the child in that photo was about the same age as I was at the time. Back when I lived in west suburban Forest Park, I remember taking the "L" home from State and Lake after wandering around the city on my days off from working at the Walden Bookstore in the Yorktown Shopping Center, located in Lombard, a suburb further to the west. It was the best of both worlds - living in a close-in suburb just two blocks from the Forest Park "L" stop, and a relatively short drive to work at Yorktown. When looking for my first apartment, I had considered renting a place on Chicago's Near North Side, where all the "action" was, but just finding a spot to park to even look for an apartment around there convinced me that it was not a good idea. Sometimes I wish I could go back to those Forest Park days, but then again, after a short while, I think to myself "to hell with it." It occurs to me that I am indeed starting to get old. Be that as it may, be sure to check out https://www.transitchicago.com/historicalcalendar/ to view and download that 2024 CTA calendar. You'll like it, I'm sure.

No comments:

Post a Comment