Tuesday, March 26, 2024

Gentrification Gone Wild?


I noticed while walking through Denver's Washington Park a few weeks back that the house in the photograph above now had a fence around it, which is a sure sign that it was about to be torn down, and a new, larger, more grand structure would be taking its place. But since it looked like such a nice home, I couldn't believe that could be true. Perhaps it was just undergoing a renovation? But several days ago, as I was driving past that corner, I saw that it was gone, a bulldozer sitting in the backyard. That lot sits directly across the street from Washington Park, on the east side, with a view of the park and the mountains beyond, and a location like that is very pricey indeed. Since it is a wealthy neighborhood, I really don't think this can be called gentrification, unless it applies to the rich being replaced by the super-rich. Hard to believe that when I was young, "small is beautiful" used to be a popular movement. These days it is more like "back to the gilded age."

No comments:

Post a Comment