Wednesday, August 12, 2026
Living In A Parallel Universe
The Florida primary is less than a week away, and all the local channels are filled with political ads. And watching these ads, I am struck by how different the messages are from what I perceive as reality. The war in Iran is driving up costs and looking like a never-ending quagmire. Affordability is the main concern for a majority of Americans. Health professionals are worried about false claims undermining faith in vaccines. And I have read countless articles about how Republicans are very worried about the party's prospects in the midterms. And yet in their television ads to win the Republican primary for Florida's 22nd Congressional District, they address none of these concerns. Virtually all the candidates stress how they have a business background, like Trump, are an outsider, like Trump, if elected will help Trump "drain the swamp" and work to deport all the criminal illegal immigrants. It is like the past 18 months never happened. Is this really what Florida voters want to hear from someone running for Congress? Are these still the major concerns of Florida Republicans? It is indeed like living in parallel universes. Of course, I will never try to discuss any of these issues with anyone down here. As far as I can tell, everyone, even little old ladies - two of whom I overheard last summer at Stuart Beach discussing the handguns they had in their purses - are armed. It is Florida, after all. Just try Googling "Florida Man" and you'll see what I mean. Fox 35 television in Orlando even has a separate webpage devoted to Florida Man. Check it out at https://www.fox35orlando.com/tag/florida-man.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)


No comments:
Post a Comment