My South Side heroes, the Chicago White Sox, are still in first place in the American League Central, 2 1/2 games in front of the Cleveland Indians (I mean Guardians), but the Sox have been struggling a bit since the All-Star break. I was able to watch their last two games, against the Texas Rangers, on MLB.com and both games were pretty exciting, by which I mean stressful to watch. Tuesday night the Sox were ahead in the 9th inning by a score of 11-7, with two out, and their pitcher walked the bases loaded, with the tying run at the plate. I was sure they were doomed, but Grant Taylor came in and got the final out and his 8th save, and the Sox won the game 11-7. And last night, in the 6th inning, the Sox were ahead 10-2 when Johathan Cannon, just recalled from AAA Charlotte, came into the game and promptly gave up 2 runs. Here we go again, I thought. But Cannon settled down and the Sox won 10-4.
But still, the White Sox are 5-5 over their last 10 games, while the Indians - I mean Guardians - are 8-2 over their last 10. And so, it will not be a walk in the park (no pun intended) getting to the playoffs. But the Sox have some very good players, having brought up 14 rookies this season, and so however the team finishes, things are looking very positive for the future. As for their North Side rivals, the Chicago Cubs, they are 4-6 over their last 10 games and 6 1/2 games behind the Milwaukee Brewers in the National League Central, although still in good position to make the playoffs as a wildcard team. Such is life for baseball fans on both sides of the city. But in the photograph on the right, both White Sox television sportscasters Steve Stone (on the left) and Connor McKnight (on the right) seem very confident in the team, and so I will not worry. Except while they are actually playing a game. As for my adopted hometown team, the Colorado Rockies, they are 3-7 over their last 10 games and solidly in last place in the National League West, 28 games out of first. And so, their rebuilding efforts are still ongoing, to say the least. And by the way, watching the game last night, I was surprised to learn White Sox fans still sing nah nah nah nah, nah nah nah nah, hey hey hey, goodbye whenever the opposing team takes out their pitcher. Good to know some things never change.



No comments:
Post a Comment