Saturday, December 22, 2018

Celebrating The Winter Solstice At The Littleton Museum





I checked the Denver Post yesterday morning to find out where Winter Solstice celebrations were taking place in the Denver area, but found that they were either charging pricey admission fees, or else sounded too weird, even for me.  And so instead, I drove down to Littleton (a community 10 miles or so south of Denver and settled back in the 1860s), and spent the afternoon wandering around the two "living history"  farms surrounding the Littleton Museum.  As can be seen in the photograph on the left, the farm house from the 1860s was pretty tiny.  I can't imagine how a large family could actually live in such close quarters, but they did.


I am very glad that I wasn't living back then, because living in a cabin like that would have made me pretty damn crabby.  For me, staying at a Motel 6 is as close to roughing it as I want to get.  And therefore, if I had to have a choice, I would have preferred to live in the 1890s farmhouse, seen in the photograph on the right.  Not only did it seem more comfortable, but by then Littleton was becoming a fairly good sized town, and it would have been just a short horse ride to the local brewpub. And I must say, Littleton, Colorado is a really pretty, very quaint town, with lots of homes and commercial buildings from the late Victorian era.  Of course, being so close to Denver, it is now a well established suburb, and as I have stated many times, I hate suburbs.  Even quaint ones.  Sorry about that, Littleton - nothing personal.  But you are a great place to visit.    

No comments:

Post a Comment