Wednesday, September 23, 2026

Creepies And The Other 49


I read an article on the internet that listed the top 50 restaurants in the country the other day, and I took special note of 4 of them: Creepies in Chicago, Heretik and Milpero in Denver, and Leo's in Santa Fe, New Mexico. I checked each of their websites and confirmed what I already suspected: very weird food. Creepies menu offers beef tartare with mimolette gaufrettes and green garlic, corn crepe with chanterelles lovage and pecorino and other such items, which you can wash down with an elderflower bitter orange saison. I have no idea what most of these things even are. In Denver, Heretik offers hokkaido uni 'pan con tomate' as well as rotisserie chicken croqeutas with tobiko and perilla. And no beer on the menu. Can you bring your own, like Norm of Cheers fame did at a fancy art gallery opening in an old beer commercial? Let's hope. Milpero, also in Denver, offers an 18-course tasting menu that "stays true to the Mexican tradition," with "deep respect for masa." Eight guests are allowed at a time, the evening lasts 3 hours, and costs $225 per person, with beverage selection ranging from $125 to $500. Leo's, in Santa Fe, New Mexico, is a Thai and Malay inspired restaurant and bar with curated spirits and "low intervention" wines. They have items on the menu that I actually recognize, such as fried chicken and pork bellied bar steak, but state that most dishes rely on ingredients such as fish sauce and shrimp paste. Yum! And so, for all of you out there who live in Chicago, Denver, or Santa Fe, you now know where to dine tonight. No thanks necessary!

No comments:

Post a Comment