Wednesday, September 30, 2026

The Union Station Farmers Market - A Venue For Denver's Hipsters?


On the way to Oktoberfest in Denver's Ballpark neighborhood this past Saturday, I walked through the Union Station Farmers Market, which takes place in front of Denver's Union Station every Saturday and Sunday between May 31st and October 26th. It has been a while since I have perused this market and have forgotten how much fun it is. To be honest, I have seen very little produce at this market. It is more about clothing, gifts, crafts, gizmos, and everything else that appeals to the urban hipsters that frequent Denver's Lower Downtown (LoDo) neighborhood. And I suspect produce is not at the top of the list. No doubt dinner will be at either one of the local hotspots that populate the area or a DoorDash delivery to their upscale apartment. And by the way, Union Station was built in 1881 and was once a major transportation hub. It underwent a renovation back in 2014 that turned it into a shopping, dining, and cultural destination, appealing to those same hipsters shopping at the Farmer's Market out front. But it still remains the main transportation hub for buses, light rail trains, and Amtrak service to Chicago and San Francisco, two cities also very appealing to hipsters, although I suspect you won't find them on Amtrak's California Zephyr anytime soon. I imagine an overnight, high-speed trip in their BMW or Porsche to either of those cities is more their style. Anyway, that's the way I would do it.

No comments:

Post a Comment