Saturday, October 10, 2026
The Mount Evans State Wildlife Area - Definitely Not Very Safe For Wildlife
I drove up to Evergreen, Colorado from Denver yesterday afternoon and took Upper Bear Creek Road all the way to its end, where the Mount Evans State Wildlife Area begins. This is a 3,438-acre protected sanctuary on the eastern slope of Mount Blue Sky (formerly Mount Evans). It is a very pretty drive, and the aspens were in full color, as seen in the photograph above. But when I got to the entrance, there were restrictions spelled out on a sign detailing who could enter the area and when. Although this is an important breeding ground for Rocky Mountain elk, bighorn sheep, black bears, deer, foxes, mountain lions, and unicorns (just kidding - I think), it does not sound like much of a sanctuary, since only hunters and fishermen with valid Colorado licenses are allowed to enter from the day after Labor Day until mid-November, when elk and deer hunting is allowed. Public access is not allowed from January 1st until June 14th, after which unarmed individuals are allowed in for wildlife viewing and hiking. I assume that picnicking is allowed, too, although don't blame me if you wind up getting handcuffed and taken away if it is not. This area is 9 miles west of Evergreen, and if I were an elk or deer, I would definitely hightail it out of that "sanctuary" and head down to one of that town's many parks, or even its residential neighborhoods. It is a very elk friendly kind of place. Even players on the Evergreen Golf Course are careful to play around elk lounging on the fairways. And no, I did not take a chance and drive into the Mount Evans SWA even though no one seemed to be around. Why risk the chance of getting shot by a hunter, or even worse, getting my car shot up? My insurance rates are high enough as it is.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)


No comments:
Post a Comment