Sunday, December 4, 2011

It's A Wonderful Bookstore!



Last night I decided to get into the Christmas spirit by watching "It's A Wonderful Life" on television as I was putting up my Christmas tree. Last year I had bought a book about the movie, which included a photograph of the final heartwarming scene of the movie. I was thinking at the time I would photoshop the faces of the DU Bookstore's employees onto the faces of the various characters in that photo. I then decided "to hell with it" - in a whimsical holiday way, of course - and never looked at the book again until today. Right after the scene pictured above of the Building and Loan's Board of Director's meeting, Uncle Billy says "Well, we're being voted out of business after 25 years. Easy come, easy go." He also says "So what? I can get another job. I'm only 56." In 1946 this was supposed to be funny, but not today. As faithful readers know, the University of Denver is contemplating outsourcing the Bookstore after 148 years. Could we soon become an entire store of Uncle Billys?

No comments:

Post a Comment