Thursday, December 29, 2011

Still Another Insult!



As faithful readers know, I have received a number of insulting remarks over the years about my wristwatch. My brother-in-law gave it to me as a Christmas gift many years ago. The following summer, when visiting my mother in Stuart, Florida, we were walking past the Walgreen's in the Treasure Coast Mall when my mother insisted on buying me a Timex watch to replace that "hideous thing." I wore that Timex until it stopped working, and then wore the "ugly" watch again from that time forward. My co-worker Wally once asked me if I got the watch by subscribing to Time magazine. Last year I went to Chicago and lost the watch in Oakwoods Cemetery. By the time I went back to retrieve it, the gates were closed. However, the next morning I went back, and it was right where I left it. Nobody wanted it enough to take it. And now, last Saturday, I went to the watch repair shop at Sears to get the battery replaced. It has been at least 2 1/2 years since I was last there, but the Asian-American watchmaker immediately said to me "Oh yes, I remember THAT watch. We've replaced the battery for you before." Glad to know my watch is that famous.

No comments:

Post a Comment