Wednesday, January 29, 2020

A Final Word On The National Western Stock Show






As I mentioned in yesterday's blog, Denver's National Western Stock Show is over for another year.  It is a great place to take photos, especially because nobody - including the animals - seems to object.  In fact, taking photographs is expected, which is why I was able to take the photograph on the left in the Cowboy Bar - located in the middle of the cattle barn - without being hassled, as usually happens if you try to take photos of hipsters in their natural habitats.






When I went to the stock show on opening weekend, Murdoch's Junior Barn was filled with llamas and alpacas, while on Free Grounds Admission Day it was filled with a whole variety of goats, such as the one in the photograph on the right.  I myself am from the south side of Chicago, and so I have never had any experience with farms or ranches.  This is in stark contrast to my sister Susan, who when she was young, stayed on our Great Uncle John's farm near Geneva, Illinois several times, and fondly remembers how they would go to the barn to say goodnight to the cows each night.  Susan also got to go with my Grandmother and Grandfather Spillard to the horse races every Sunday, and got to stay with my Grandmother and Grandfather Hoyt once in a while, too.  However, when I came along 11 years later, I guess they had had enough of all that, and must have told my parents to just let me play outside on the streets.  But I am not bitter.  Much.





In any case, in addition to all the goats in the Junior barn, there was a pen full of sheep, too, as seen in the photograph on the left.  And as you can see, there is always one sheep who tends to stand out in the crowd.  As I walked around these animal pens, I could not help but notice that people were spending a lot of time vacuuming these animals, especially the cattle.  I just hope that they only have to do this at shows, and not out on the range. That would take a hell of a long extension cord.  And with that, I have to say that I am looking forward to attending the National Western Stock Show again next year, too.

No comments:

Post a Comment