Wednesday, January 15, 2020

Taking Llama and Alpaca Portraits At The National Western Stock Show...






As I mentioned in yesterday's blog, my friend Stuart and I went to the National Western Stock Show here in Denver Sunday afternoon, and it was llama and alpaca heaven.  I have head that they can be temperamental beasts, and like to spit at you, but most of them were perfectly happy to pose for the camera, like the llama or alpaca in the photograph on the left (I really don't know the difference between the two species - they are not native to the south side of Chicago, where I grew up).





In any case, the little fellow on the right was pretty willing to have it's photograph taken, too.  Llamas and alpacas are all the rage here in Colorado, whether for their fur or usefulness in carrying supplies into the mountains, or perhaps just for pets.  I suggested to Stuart that he might want to check with the management of his apartment complex to see if they allow them as house pets, but he seemed a bit reluctant.  Perhaps he is more of a pot bellied pig man.





As for the animal in the photograph on the left, gnawing on one of the iron bars of it's pen, I have not the vaguest idea what it is.  To me it looks like a giant mole,  but what do I know?  Of course, the way it in chewing on a piece of metal, I would hate to let it loose on the furniture in my apartment. And I have to wonder just how easy it would be to toilet train one of these creatures?  I also have to wonder how they would react to being hit on the nose with a newspaper?  I am worried that not only would they spit, but they might also charge.  I think I will wait and see how Stuart makes out with his llama, first, before I adopt one of my own.

No comments:

Post a Comment