Sunday, February 6, 2022

A Horseshoe Game Circa 1973


I took the photograph above of my father Nelson playing horseshoes on the lawn of our house in the Southern Chicago suburb of Country Club Hills back in June of 1973. I never did like living in that community, and have hated most suburbs ever since. However, as I have said before, the whole extended family lived close to each other back then, which was a very nice thing indeed. Three years after that photo was taken, my parents would retire to Stuart, Florida, and I would move into my first apartment in Forest Park, Illinois, just a stone's throw from the Lake Street L. What amazes me is that I don't think of this photograph as old, even with that car in the background, and the fact that it was taken almost 50 years ago. But back then, when I was 20 years old, if I had looked at a 50-year-old photograph with a car from that era in it, it would have been from the 1920s, and looked ancient to me. Is that a sign of growing old? Certainly not - especially since I am not old.

No comments:

Post a Comment