Friday, February 11, 2022

A Visit To The Littleton Museum, Continued





As I mentioned in yesterday's blog post, I visited the Littleton Museum this past Sunday to take a few photographs. This museum, located in Littleton, Colorado, just south of Denver, is free to the public, and features a variety of farm animals on its two living farms. The museum is located in Ketring Park, along the shores of Ketring Lake, a walkway to which can be seen in the photograph on the left.






The donkey in the photograph on the right was busy eating hay when I first arrived, and refused to look up. I told him or her I would be back in a while to take a portrait, and was happy to find that when I did come back, it was ready for that photo op. After taking the photograph, I gave it a little pat on the nose, and its mouth quickly went to my hand to see if it had food in it. As it started to munch on my fingers, I quickly pulled away. I guess those signs warning visitors not to touch the animals, since they often mistake fingers for carrots, must be true after all.





Let's face it - a lot of farm animals can be pretty boring, especially the cows. Exhibit A can be seen in the photograph on the left, staring at me while continuously chewing on its meal of hay. There are two cows in that pen, but the other one was too busy eating to look up. The museum needs to have some docents train these guys to perform a few tricks, like they do at the Denver Zoo with the seals. I definitely need to send the museum an e-mail with this suggestion.




One of the most fun animals to photograph is the weird looking goat in the photograph on the right. It often stands with its two front legs on the fence, desperately wanting to interact with visitors when they approach. Unfortunately, the wind was blowing at about 40 miles per hour that afternoon - a pretty cold breeze, too - and so that goat preferred to take shelter in the lean-to, which of course was a disappointment. It was all shadows in there, and at first, I didn't even see the animal. The photograph on the right had to be manipulated in photoshop before I could post it. In any case, the main question to me is why this goat is sharing a corral with two cows instead of with the goats on the other side of the museum? Did they have a falling out? Does this goat actually think it is a cow? All these questions, but no answers, just like so many aspects of life.

No comments:

Post a Comment