Monday, February 7, 2022

Colorado - A Winter Wonderland


I took the photograph above on a walk with my sister Susan's dog Blackberry up in Fort Collins this past week. That neighborhood, adjacent to Colorado State University's University Center for the Arts, is quite nice anytime of the year, but especially evocative after a snowfall. In point of fact, there are a lot of beautiful towns, with beautiful neighborhoods, here in Colorado, and tremendous mountain scenery, as well. Originally coming from the South Side Brainerd neighborhood of Chicago, I thought all of the west was like this, but after going on a road trip from Colorado to California and back this past fall,  I learned that was not true. Except for the mountains in Utah, the drive along I-80 from Laramie, Wyoming to the Sierras in California was ugly as hell. It was just as ugly driving east from San Diego, through Arizona and New Mexico, until finally arriving in Santa Fe, a truly wonderful city, and happily only 6 hours from home. Makes me glad I live here in Denver, and not in the middle of barren wastelands that so much of the west consists of - or, for that matter, the barren wastelands that are the Denver suburbs of Lakewood and Aurora. I'm just sayin'.

No comments:

Post a Comment