Thursday, February 24, 2022

The Arctic Blast Has Arrived




Denver and the rest of the Front Range has been in the deep freeze this week, with snow almost every day. Yesterday's low was minus 7 degrees, a new record, with a high of 9, and it will not get above freezing until Saturday. On the bright side, it will be back in the 60s by next week, which almost never happens in Chicago, where I grew up. To avoid going stir-crazy, I went for a walk across the University of Denver campus Tuesday afternoon, where I took the photograph on the left with Driscoll South, the top floor of which houses the DU Bookstore, in the background. Which is where I worked for 28 years.




It was close to zero that day, and so I sneaked into the new DU Commons, which replaced Driscoll North, which opened in 1984, the year I started working at the bookstore. This new building houses cafeterias, a Starbucks, study rooms, and student offices, among other things. The first time I walked through the building, I thought it was a bit too modern, with a very cold atmosphere. However, this time I liked it much better, possibly because it was warm in there. And I did indeed sneak into the place. Due to Covid, the university has a very involved process that must be followed before anyone is given permission to enter it's buildings. Since Covid is on the wane, I thought that those precautions might have been eased, but just in case, followed a student into the building before the door closed. On my way out, I noticed that the doors were still locked to anyone without the access card. And if I had been caught? Plausible deniability. Words to live by.

No comments:

Post a Comment