Saturday, June 24, 2023

How To Sell A Haunted House




I finally finished reading How to Sell a Haunted House, by Grady Hendrix. After reading a glowing review in The Denver Post, I put my name on the waiting list for it at the Denver Public Library. But when I finally got hold of the book, it was one of several other books I had also requested, and I did not have time to read it, necessitating putting my name back on the waiting list once more. Which was a far better option than buying it, since I did not like this novel very much at all. Sadly, I kept reading, hoping it would get better, but instead, it got very stupid. The story involves a single mother living in San Francisco, who receives a phone call from her brother Mark telling her that their parents have been killed in a car accident. 




She heads back home to Charleston, South Carolina to attend the funeral and help settle the estate (she is the executor), and finds that her brother Mark, with whom she has many issues, has inherited the house and everything else. Plus, it turns out the house is haunted. I thought this would be kind of a fun book to read, but it was not. None of the characters in the story are likeable. The house involved is not a charming old mansion in the historic part of Charleston, where I took the photograph on the right this past April, but a suburban house in Mount Pleasant. And the house is being haunted by a diabolical, evil hand puppet. Yes! A hand puppet! If you enjoy reading Michael Connelly, Daniel Silva, CJ Box, or any other such entertaining authors, you will hate this book. Stay away from it, not to mention any haunted houses located in your area.

No comments:

Post a Comment