Sunday, June 11, 2023

Remembering My Last Visit To The Loop


It has been 13 years since my last visit to Chicago. After checking out Brainerd, the South Side neighborhood where I grew up, as well as the other places I frequented during my youth, I headed downtown to see how it looked after almost a 30 year absence. It was the beginning of April, and what I first remember seeing was a flotilla of sailboats heading down the Chicago River toward Lake Michigan, and to what I assume would be their summertime berths. I must say, I was quite impressed, and took the photograph above marking the occasion. And soon I was in the heart of the Loop, and it was thriving. That was a great trip, and I really enjoyed the week I spent there. Of course, these days, all you hear about is the crime in Chicago, the vacancies on North Michigan Avenue, and the sad state of the "L." I am hoping it is all just media hype, and that for the most part, things are still thriving back in my old hometown. Of course, the only way to find out is another visit. And I think after 13 years, it is definitely time.

No comments:

Post a Comment