An acquaintance of my friend Stuart went on a 3-day camping trip here in Colorado with two of her friends last week, and the very first night they had their food stolen by bears. Unfortunately, one of those bears was able to get into that friend's car and caused $8,000 worth of damage. They went into town and purchased more food, but the bears came back the next night and took that food, too. But she did manage to take the photograph on the left of one of the perpetrators. And I must say, I am a bit jealous. I have never seen a bear in the woods before and have always hoped to get a photograph just like that one. But of course, if the price to get it was $8,000 damage to my car, I would just as soon skip that particular life goal. I don't know what happened the third night, but since she was able to get an estimate on the damage to her car, I assume all three survived with limbs intact. Bear sightings are by no means rare this year. Due to severe drought conditions, thanks to record low snowpack, the berries, fruits, and grasses, among other things they eat, are in short supply, leading to many bears heading to Denver's suburbs in search of food. There have been sightings in Keenesburg, which is way the hell out on the Eastern Plains, Wheat Ridge, which borders Denver, Arvada, Louisville, and Broomfield, all 3 in the northern suburbs, as well as all over Dougles County, including Castle Pines and Roxborough to the south of Denver. Colorado Parks and Wildlife stress the need to secure trash, remove bird feeders, keep garage doors closed, store pet food and grills indoors, and in general not leave out anything bears might want to eat, such as young children. Wise advice. And by the way, it was Stuart who came up with the phrase "Grin and Bear it." Hopefully that was not what he said to his friend after she told him about the 8K damage to her car.
Sunday, July 26, 2026
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)


No comments:
Post a Comment