Thursday, July 30, 2026
Keeping Track Of Important Chicago Moments With The CTA Historical Calendar
As regular blog readers know, I just love the CTA (Chicago Transit Authority) Historical Calendar. It comes out each year on January 1st and has great photographs of Chicago and its various forms of public transportation from years past. And this month the featured photo is of the opening of the new State Street Bridge back in 1949, as seen in the photograph above. It shows a large crowd on that bridge surrounding a "Green Hornet" streetcar, one of many that went into service back in 1948. Sadly, streetcar service ended in Chicago in 1958, the year I entered kindergarten at Fort Dearborn Grammar School in the South Side Brainerd neighborhood of Chicago. And if I ever rode one of those streetcars, I can't remember it. Yet another opportunity to experience a part of Chicago history thwarted. And by the way, there are still 5 months of historic photographs left to see on the 2026 edition of the CTA Historical Calendar. Be sure to download a copy at https://www.transitchicago.com/historicalcalendar/.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)


No comments:
Post a Comment