Sunday, May 7, 2017

Kentucky Derby Day!



I didn't think I would be watching the Kentucky Derby this year, since I had to work at my part-time job at a local Denver grocery store all day yesterday. But happily the race took place during my lunch hour, and I was able to watch the entire thing on the wide screen television  in the store's break room. The winner was Always Dreaming, who at 9 to 4 odds was the favorite.  And no, that is not the winning horse in the photograph on the left.  I took that particular photo as the horses were heading to the starting gate, and I thought that the colors displayed were much nicer than the winning horse.  You have to have your priorities, after all.


The race took place on a very muddy track, and I assume it had been raining pretty heavily earlier.  I suspect, for this year at least, it was much better watching the race on television instead of actually being there.  I have always liked the Kentucky Derby because it reminds me of back when my parents hosted Kentucky Derby parties with our relatives and friends each year. My father would cut the names of the horses out of the newspaper, put them in a hat, and then each person would put in their money and pick two horses out of the hat without looking.  The winner would get the pot, of course, and everyone had a good time.  This year, by the way, I was rooting for Patch, an underdog with only one eye.  Lucky thing I wasn't there to bet on her.

No comments:

Post a Comment